Friday, September 12, 2008

What is Ramadan to you?



Since Ramadan has started I have heard this very question numerous times. After pondering on it for some time I have to realize that Ramadan is so very much to all of us. As for me Ramadan is such a special time. Ramadan is the holy month that the Quran was sent to us so we should take this time to get to know our Quran. Allah (saw) has given us all a book of life, how very lucky we are. But yet I am surprised when I tell people that my Ramadan goal is to finish the entire Quran not one single person has ever read it entirely. Sadly this is the state our ummah is in this day and age. We all make time to watch movies or to read novels nevertheless we still can not seem to find time to read our Qurans, astagfurAllah even though we all know the many benefits we get from reading it.

Ramadan to me is a time when I am able to fast as Allah has commanded me to do so. During my fast I feel the struggle that the poor go through every day of their life and this alone makes me appreciate what Allah has bestowed upon me in my life, alhumdullah. During this time I am able to connect with every Muslim in the world that is fasting along with me. And during this time I am reaping the many awards that Allah gives us for obeying his awards.

Ramadan to me is a time that my family and I are able to have fatoor and iftar together. This is a time that we are able to be thankful to Allah for the food we have and a time for me to cook for the people that I love; I love these moments with my loved ones.

And lastly, Ramadan to me is a time to improve my Islamic knowledge something that we should all thrive for on a daily basis. We should all always read about our beloved prophets, our history and so much more. This is our duty as Muslims.

I urge you all to share with us what Ramadan is to you and how you celebrate this blessed month in your home/country. I leave you all with some beautiful words of Ramadan.

Aboo Umaamah said: I came to Allah’s Messenger (r) and asked, “Instruct me to do
something which will put me in paradise,” and he replied, “You should fast for there is nothing
equal to it.” When I came to him a second time, he said, “You should fast.”

"Many a one who fasts obtains nothing from his fasting but thirst, and many a one who prays during the night obtains nothing from his night prayers but wakefulness."

Allah's apostle said, "Fasting is a shield (or a screen or a shelter). So, the person observing fast should avoid sexual relation with his wife and should not behave foolishly and impudently, and if someone fights with him or abuses him, he should tell him twice, "I am Fasting." The Prophet added, "By Him in whose hand my soul is, the smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the smell of musk." (Allah says about the fasting person) 'He has left his food, drink and desires for My sake. The Fast is for Me. So I will reward (the fasting person) for it and the reward of good deeds is multiplied ten times."


2 comments:

Destitute Rebel said...

Welcome to the Ramadan Blog Noor, a wonderful first post. Hope to read more from you on here.

Lirun said...

hi noor

its beautiful to hear your feelings and thoughts..

:)